Our unique academic environment is enhanced by the use of the most dynamic and effective methods of instruction. Through an interdisciplinary approach, students are encouraged to seek academic challenges, develop critical thinking skills, and apply new concepts as they strive to become responsible, impactful leaders of the future.
Our small class sizes, dedicated faculty, and involved parents help us create a safe and supportive environment where individual talents are developed and shared. High expectations for achievement, creativity, self-discipline and social responsibility are the cornerstones of Atlanta Academy.
TITLE: School Nurse
REPORTS TO: Head of School
STATUS: 10-month, non-exempt position – this position does not work during the summer
HOURS: School year hours: Monday – Friday, 8 am – 4 pm
Attendance at school events may be required.
PURPOSE OF POSITION:
The school nurse uses clinical knowledge and judgment to provide health care to students, educates students in health-related topics in the classroom, educates staff in first aid, AED, and CPR, and serves as a liaison between school personnel, family, and healthcare providers.
This position will work closely with the administrative team, faculty, parents and students to accomplish the following essential duties and responsibilities.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
• Deliver nursing services consistent with the Georgia Board of Nursing rules and regulations to provide effective care for the medical needs of the school community
• Administer and document medications to students according to approved clinic policies and procedures and written physician directions to include injectable medication and emergency medication with appropriate documented records
• Organize and maintain a clean, orderly clinic to ensure a safe physical environment including: locked medication cabinets; maintain standard precautions at all times; maintain sharps containers in appropriate locations; maintain adequate clinic supplies
• Identify and manage individuals with suspected infectious illness and help prevent transmission to others through exclusion and education; report required information to staff and parents
• Display ethical/professional behavior while maintaining the highest standards of confidentiality
• Maintain accurate documentation of clinic services, including emergency situations
• Provide privacy and a caring environment for students and staff
• Communicate and collaborate with school personnel, students, and family in a professional manner with appropriate frequency about student health issues
• Perform other duties as necessary, including administrative tasks necessary to maintain accurate health and medical services record keeping and immunization tracking
• Educate students in health-related topics in the classroom, including but not limited to hand hygiene, pathogens, nutrition, safety and other areas as requested by teaching staff
• Co-teach middle school health class in conjunction with Middle School Science teacher
• Certify staff in CPR and First Aid biennially/Teach CPR to eighth grade yearly
• Provide OSHA standards information and training to staff annually
• Graduate of an accredited nursing education program
• Current RN licensure in the State of Georgia
• AHA Certification in CPR/AED and First Aid
• Knowledge of clinical practices of allergies, diabetes management, asthma, and other acute and chronic medical conditions
• Knowledge of fundamental nursing concepts, practices, and procedures
• Strong written, oral and interpersonal communication skills
• Ability to maintain a positive working relationship with school personnel, students, and families
• 3-5 years of clinical and/or school nursing experience
• AHA Certification in CPR/AED/First Aid Instruction
• Competency in computer applications, online medical record keeping, and organizational abilities
• Exceptional Customer Service Skills
• Ability to describe problems and work orally or in writing to supervisor as required.
• Ability to establish and maintain cooperative working relationships with others contacted in the course of work.
• Ability to carry out instructions furnished in written or oral form.
• Ability to understand, apply and use computers and school software applications (e.g., Word, Excel, PowerPoint, the Internet, Outlook, electronic mail).
• Ability to take initiative and problem-solve job-related issues.
• Ability to work with a diverse group of individuals.
• Ability to process paperwork accurately according to standardized procedures.
• Ability to maintain the confidentiality of information regarding students, employees, and others.
• Organizational and time management skills.
• Position includes working in the school clinic, office, and classroom conditions
• Lifting up to 50 lbs., standing, walking, reaching, and operating computers and clinic equipment
• Position requires regular and reliable attendance.
• Position requires proficiency in English and grammar usage skills.