By Christina Mimms for The Aha! Connection
Venture about 20 minutes up GA 400 from Dunwoody and you will discover the delightful, delicious outdoor venue known as Avalon. More than just restaurants and shops, the complex hosts numerous special events all with a family-friendly vibe. Here are the Top 5 reasons to go OTP to Avalon in Alpharetta:
- Avalon includes a number of restaurants, all with outdoor seating options. Some restaurants can only be found at Avalon while others may have a secondary in-town location, such as South City Kitchen and Jeni’s Splendid Ice Cream. Be sure to try Colletta, El Felix and Branch & Barrel. For the restaurants that take reservations, definitely make one, even on a Tuesday night. Many area businesses hold weeknight dinners at these locations and crowds are common. For the restaurants that don’t accept reservations, go early on a Friday or Saturday night, put your name in, get a cocktail and wander the shops while you wait.
- On the subject of shops, you will see some familiar stores such as Anthropologie, Lululemon and Tommy Bahama but you will also discover others that may be new to you – Peter Millar, Sage, The Cosmetic Market and Marine Layer to name a few. As with the restaurants, Avalon is the only north Atlanta location of certain stores such as Crate & Barrel, Pottery Barn Kids, J. McLaughlin, Tesla and Drybar.
- Throughout the year, Avalon holds numerous special events, some of which require tickets. Fashion shows, 5K runs, cornhole tournaments, Punchline comedy shows and a Kentucky Derby Party all are on the calendar in the coming months.
- The Plaza. The center of the property includes a green space, the concierge, valet and a beautiful fountain. The Plaza can be an informal gathering spot but it also serves as the location for AvalOM, a free, weekly yoga class held on Wednesdays from 6-7 pm. The “Little Acorns,” aka preschoolers and moms, also gather here on Tuesdays at 10 am from April through October for free, fun activities such as face painting, games, story time and more. Just adjacent to the Plaza, little ones and their parents can enjoy a free, 1,300-square-foot indoor/outdoor play area.
- Certainly Avalon is not the only outdoor shopping experience in Atlanta. The Forum and all the Avenue concepts have much to offer. What makes Avalon different is the general atmosphere – all the outdoor lounge spaces, the walkability, the special events and the attention to families create a feeling of community as opposed to the feeling of being in a mall without a lid on it. Go there once and you will want to return often.
Check out these upcoming events at Avalon:
- April 8-20: Easter Bunny on site for photos (appointments available)
- Saturday, April 13: Heart & Sole 5K to benefit the Lionheart School
- Saturday, April 20: Easter Egg Hunt; age 0-3 at 8:30 am and age 4-7 at 9:30 am
- Saturday, April 20: Floral Arranging Class, 2-4 pm; tickets $60 per person