Tomatillo Chicken Tacos
Source: I still have my newspaper clipping cut out from years ago. Most likely from the AJC. I can’t believe I’ve never shared this recipe before. It is one of my family’s faves…particularly my husband. Whenever I find fresh good looking tomatillos I buy them and make this!
- 8 ounces (5-6 medium) tomatillos, husked and rinsed (see note)
- 2 fresh Serrano chiles, or to taste, stemmed
- 1.5 tablespoons olive oil
- 1/2 medium white onion, roughly chopped
- 1 garlic clove, peeled and roughly chopped
- 1 cup chicken broth
- 3 tablespoons roughly chopped cilantro
- 1/4 to 1/2 teaspoon salt, depending on saltiness of broth
- 2 cups firmly packed Swiss chard or spinach (all pieces should be about 1/2 inch wide and 2 inches long)
- 1 1/3 cups coarsely shredded cooked chicken
- 12 warm tortillas (plus a few extra, in case some break)
- 1/2 to 3/4 cup crumbled Mexican quest fresco
- Roast tomatillos and chiles on baking sheet 4 inches below a very hot broiler until blackened and soft on one side, 5 to 6 minutes, then turn over and roast on other side 3 to 4 minutes.