by Audra H. Anders for The Aha! Connection
When leaving the Georgetown Kroger and heading back toward Dunwoody on Chamblee-Dunwoody Road, the view is very different these days. Many trees have been chopped down making room for sidewalks and bike lanes and the burying of utilities. Now you can now clearly see the JF&CS buildings located at 4549 Chamblee Dunwoody Road. They are nestled between Georgetown Park and Bank of America, just past the Georgetown Burger King. Drive back there and you’ll see several buildings, their food bank, a gorgeous garden with watermelons and rosemary and many other fruits, veggies, and herbs. But what is the JF&CS you ask?
You’ll be glad you asked.
Don’t see the first word and assume it isn’t for you.
Jewish Family & Career Services (JF&CS) was established in 1891 and is an organization serving our ENTIRE community, not just our Jewish friends. JF&CS is dedicated to strengthening and enriching the lives of individuals, families, and community, both Jewish and non-Jewish, and helping them meet the challenges of daily life. With the support of volunteers and donors JF&CS serves thousands of individuals annually regardless of religion, age, race, gender, ethnicity, disability, sexual orientation, or ability to pay.
JF&CS offers a variety of programs making hope and opportunity happen in Atlanta….
- Frances Bunzl Clinical Services: Counseling and therapy services for all ages, including art & yoga therapy, support groups, and psycho-educational testing for children. Free webinar on August 20 for parents, “Don’t Just Survive, Thrive” to help children deal with the emotional challenges of going back to school.
- Career Services: Includes workshops, career coaching, and job placement. They provide individuals with many virtual opportunities to build their best chance for success, such as a series of four virtual career workshops, one-on-one career coaching over the phone or video call, resources and referrals, networking opportunities, virtual speaker events and so much more.
- Aviv Older Adult Services: Whether you are an older adult, a spouse, or an adult family caregiver, JF&CS will support you on your journey. Their licensed, clinical and master’s level social workers, geriatric care managers, and resource specialists are here to help. Includes active programs like Brain Health Bootcamp, and AgeWell Atlanta neighborhoods programs, resources and support for aging, One Good Deed friendly volunteer program, and the new HomeShareAtl program for matching seniors to homesharing adults.
- HAMSA: Addiction awareness and prevention programs. If you or someone you love is struggling with substance abuse, HAMSA (Helping Atlantans Manage Substance Abuse) can help. Call 1-833-HAMSA-HELPS (1-833-426-7243).
- Intellectual & Developmental Disability Services: Includes a community-focused all day program, supported employment, and independent living supports. IDDS is open to people of all faiths and offers programs and services that support individuals with disabilities, their families, and caregivers.
- Ben Massell Dental Clinic: Made possible by the work of over 150 volunteer dentists, the clinic is the only resource for comprehensive, quality dental care available at no cost to those who cannot afford it. Volunteer dentists and hygienists needed – Learn more!
- Support Services: Includes emergency financial assistance; a Kosher food pantry open to all, transportation for older adults, and the PAL Program, Atlanta’s only Jewish Big Brothers, Big Sisters program.
Volunteer Services: Short and long term opportunities available – from helping at the food pantry, to becoming a One Good Deed friendly visitor for older adults to assisting at the Ben Massell Dental Clinic, there are many ways to make a difference with JF&CS.
I toured the facility and sat down with Elizabeth Kiefer, the JF&CS Marketing Content Coordinator and the CEO, Terri Bonoff, last week. It has taken me a week to study my notes and devour the materials they gave to me. I’m overwhelmed with all the good deeds happening there. I hope I’ve done my job of explaining as succinctly as possible so that our community can understand what JF&CS does and how they can help our community.
Need help? Contact JF&CS today.
- Therapy: 770-677-9474
- Career Services: 770-677-9311
- Aviv Older Adult Services: 1-866-AGEWELL
- Food Assistance: 770.677.9431
- Financial assistance, apply here
- Dental Clinic: 404-881-1858
- HAMSA (Helping Atlantans Manage Substance Abuse): 833-426-7243
- JF&CS Website
- Calendar of Events
SIGN UP for the JF&CS newsletter!
Follow JF&CS on social media: